Click on a photo to see a slightly larger image and/or to scroll through the photos.
This is a collection of furniture that I made for one of our guest bedrooms (aka, the sewing room). The room also doubles as my wife's sewing room. It includes a nightstand, headboard for the bed, bookcase, sewing table and sewing cabinet. The headboard is my second attempt. The first one was made of 3" wide vertical red oak pieces with tongue & groove and 6" wide horizontal pieces across the top and bottom. Unfortunately the horizontal and vertical pieces did not expand and contract at the same rate and the result was that the top horizontal piece would separate from the end post on one side of the headboard. It was a learning experience for me. The bookcase was designed and made to my wife's specs. She said "I'd like a bookcase in this corner and it needs to be about this size". That's one advantage to making your own furniture.
After finishing the guest bedroom, I made my way over to the living room. Here are photos of the end tables, lamps, coffee table and entertainment center that I made over two winters. We spent a long time looking for lamps for our end tables. One of our requirements was that they be tall enough to shed useful light for reading. On our vacation to the Northeast in Octber, 2002 we saw a lamp design that looked like it could fit our needs. It's a simple but functional design. The center vertical piece slides in rabbets in the vertical side pieces. A small piece of dowel and a few holes make the height adjustable
One of my major projects during the summer of 2003 was tiling the floor on our screen porch.
Over the winter of 2004/2005, I made a new bedroom set for our bedrooom. The set includes a bookcase headboard, 2 nightstands, a chest of drawers, a dresser and a mirror. The doors on either side of the headboard flip down.
Here's a collection of other woodworking projects that I completed. The tall cabinet was made to match the style of the cabinets that we already had above our washer/dryer in the laundry room. The framed poster is of our younger son, Daniel. When we were able to get the poster, I made a frame for it and hung it in my workshop. The frame with the photo collage shows my wife and I having fun whitewater kayaking. Each photo is 8"x10". The jewelry box was made of cherry. It has a removable lid and a tray that fits inside so there are 2 levels for storage. I made 2 and gave them to our daughters-in-law for Christmas, 2002. The cabinet for the coffee makers and the desk are my projects from the winter of 2005/2006 and the garden bench is a late Christmas 2006 present for my son, Charles.
My woodworking projects for the winter of 2007/2008 included making 2 tables for our house and new bases for 4 tables for Charles & Kellie. Our tables included a folding table for our laptop computer in the living room and an end table for next to the recliner in our computer bedroom. It's really nice to have a wireless router and be able to use the laptop in the same rooom with our pellet stove.
I took some time off from woodworking in 2009. In 2010, we did some remodeling in our laundry room. That's when I built a new cabinet for above our washer/dryer and a cabinet to hold the sink that replaced our laundry tub. At the same time, I installed some wall tiles behind and next to the sink/cabinet. I also made two picture frames to hold multiple photos of our granddaughters.
My projects for 2011 included building new wall cabinets and a setup for hanging some hand tools behind my workbench. I also tiled the floor in our second (hall) bathroom. During the summer, I re-sided our storage shed, replacing the old siding with particle board and vinyl siding. (That was my first venture into vinyl siding.)
During the summer of 2012 we had had new countertops installed in our kitchen. Then, during the winter of 2012/2013 we installed a tile backsplash. The hardest part of the backsplash project was moving all of the electrical boxes down about 4" so they would not disrupt the pattern with the diamond-shaped tiles.
Over the winter of 2013/2014, I decided to replace the bookcase in our office (we had outgrown the old one). SInce the new one is larger, we also had to get rid of the file babinet that we had in the corner next to the bookcase. The new bookcase is finished - now to design and build a new end table to replace the old file cabinet.